The most popular wood for making furniture is solid wood – boards from the trunk of the tree. You choose type of wood depending on the beauty and strength of finished piece or furniture. There are any varieties or wood with their own properties. Nowadays wooden chairs are popular for apartment’s design decision and restaurant atmosphere.
Popular Softwood for Making Colored Wooden Chairs
Softwoods are not so strong like hardwoods. Softwoods are presented by coniferous trees: cedar, fir, pine and are found in yellow reddish color. This type of trees grows fast and straight, and softwoods cost not so expensive like hardwoods. The most common types of softwoods for making chairs are:
- Cedar – is good for making red wooden chair. It is soft with straight grain and slightly aromatic smell. Red cedar is often used for making outdoor furniture including chairs. This type of wood is also good for other outdoor project: decks, building exteriors. Red cedar is not very expensive.
- Fir – has strength, pronounced grain and reddish brown tint. The most popular kind of fir is Douglas Fir. It is also used for building and furniture making. If you plan to paint the finished chair or other product, choose fir. Douglas is enough strong and hard for softwood.
- Pine – have some varieties: Ponderosa, Sugar, White, and Yellow. It is easy to work with this wood and it lends to carving. Pine chair can have different shapes and stain.
- Redwood – is often used for making outdoor chairs thanks to its resistance to moisture. This wood is soft with straight grain and it is easy to work with.
Hardwood for Making Colored Wooden Chairs
Many workers prefer to use hardwood for making furniture, including chairs. It is promoted to create a big variety of colors and textures. The only drawback is high price on hardwood chairs and other finished pieces. Popular hardwoods are:
- Ash – has straight grain and white to brown color. It is easy to work with, and has nice stain. But it is hard to find this type of wood on lumberyards. You can substitute it for white oak.
- Birch – exists in yellow and white color. This hardwood is easily available, and not so expensive like other hardwoods. But it is hard to stain because of possible blotchy.
- Cherry – is popular, all-around good wood. It is easy to work with, has reddish-brown color, the sapwood is white. Cherry chair is sustainably grown forests furniture.
- Mahogany – is one of the great furniture woods, called also like Honduran mahogany. It has reddish-brown, deep-red color with straight grain and medium texture. Chairs of this material look great, take good stain and need a coat of oil.
- Maple – can be soft and hard. As for hard maple, it is difficult to work with, and the soft maple is not. Has fine, straight grain, is very stable. Maple chair will be less expensive than other wooden furniture.
- Oak – is often used for making furniture, is known in 2 varieties: red and white. This wood is strong and easy to work with. It is resistant to moisture so can be good variant for outdoor chairs and other furniture.